Yeah, the impression I get it is that they're not really concerned about
CSS validity. They do care about HTML validity, though – they use an
automated validation reporter (no more having to open email, scan email for
URL, paste URL into validator, copy link into email reply, hit send) for
their issue tracker: https://github.com/cvrebert/lmvtfy

Karl brought up (or rather, implied) a good point earlier, which is "show
your workings" (teach a man how to fish was the analogy he used), and
obviously even the automated solution used by Bootstrap needs someone to
perceive and report an error before validation occurs, which is still too
late (or rather, relies on failure preceding success). A recent article on
the Zurb blog [1] makes a sensationalist claim that the W3 validator has
outlived its usefulness. What they're getting at is that what they perceive
to be the 'modern' development environment involves tools that can check
for these issues before they become problems. They're still pretty thin on
details, but for Sublime Text [2] fans, I can recommend the SublimeLinter
[3], which is a highly configurable tool for linting code as you go. I use
the JSHint plugin exclusively, but for those that care there is an HTML
tidy plugin which will highlight validation errors in a manner of your
choosing as you type them. If you want to be rigorous, using a tool like
this could prevent you from ever even saving an invalid file.

[1] http://zurb.com/article/1260/we-ve-moved-beyond-code-validators
[2] http://www.sublimetext.com/
[3] http://www.sublimelinter.com/

> It says nothing whatsoever about browsers with which he or she was
unfamiliar, or were not available to him/'her, nothing about how it
performs in the same browsers today (or will behave tomorrow) and even less
about validity.

It's gratifying to have validity marked out as a distinct concern as
compared to those other issues. Bootstrap browser support is dependent on
version and documented: http://bootstrapdocs.com/v1.1.0/docs/#about

Regarding problems that may occur on other days, with other browsers, they
do have other issues (that was number 6398) and the general public are free
to report issues as they crop up. So there's at least a method for dealing
with problems and a proven track record of enacting it.

> It says nothing whatsoever about browsers with which he or she was
unfamiliar

This begs the question: how much should one expound on browsers that one is
unfamiliar with, in general?