Barney Carroll wrote:

This begs the question: how much should one expound on browsers that one
is unfamiliar with, in general?

One should not expound on them at all : one should simply state "Our HTML and CSS are W3C-compliant and W3C-validated, and, as far as we are aware, render correctly in all browsers that are themselves W3C-compliant. If they do not render as you would wish in the browser of your choice, please draw this to our attention. We take great pride in the material we produce, but if it renders correctly in browsers that are themselves W3C-compliant, we are unlikely to expend major effort in also making it render appropriately in less-compliant browsers -- you may do better to contact your browser vendor directly and ask them to investigate the rendering issues you have reported".

Philip Taylor