When I read this I assumed J.C. was referring to a navigation bar that is
fixed to the bottom of the screen, and I think D'Arcy provided a solution
(I didn't test it).

I think there are very valid use cases for this design pattern. If the
navigation is accessible from the bottom of the screen it is always in
easier reach of my thumbs (especially on this Note 5). It also affords the
opportunity to have "quick links" (contextual or otherwise) as well as a
hamburger type button that can expand more navigation.

Test your user base and see if it is a better experience for them.

Chris