-Caveat Lector-

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Kenn Thomas wrote:
>Needless to say, the vast majority of the human species is utterly asleep
>to the real meaning of December 25th, which has absolutely nothing to do
>with the birth of a superhuman Jewish savior 2,000 years ago.  In the
>first place, the Jesus character is a fiction created by the mystery
>schools of the Roman Empire.  Thus, he was NOT born at any time, except in
>the minds of the conspirators.

Well, since this is solely OPINION, it is not arguable or verifiable one
way or the other...

>The December 25th date actually represents the last day of the winter
>solstice, when the SUN is born again after a long descent into the
>"underworld" beginning at the summer solstice, six months earlier.  The

The winter solstice is ONE day, a day which COMMENCES the winter season,
and it falls every year around the 21st or 22nd of December...

December 25th is in no way the 'end' of winter, whether of the solstice
or the season...

>word "solstice" means "sun stands still," and from midnight of December
>21st to midnight of December 24th, the sun appears to stand still, in that

No, that phenomenom only lasts one day/night...

But the pagan Yule celebrations which commenced on the solstice DID last
approximately 12 days (the amount of time generally needed to burn the
huge Yule log)...

December 25th fell in the middle of the Roman Saturnalia, a festival
observed in most of the Roman empire...it was also the date assigned by
the followers of Mithraism (a major religion of the late empire, with
many parallels to Christianity) for Mithras' birthday...so after many
centuries of trying to proscribe Christians from taking part in
festivities on that day (or indeed, during the whole season), the
Christian Church decided to 'allow' it by claiming the date for Jesus'
birth...

>Sigh.  I truly hope humankind will wake up to this information.  It is so
>exhausting and sickening to combat the psychosis that passes itself off as
>"faith."  Anybody got a spaceship?  I'm ready to get outta here.  :0

So...are you arguing that there should be NO celebration at all, whether
with the semi-religious veneer or not?

Bah, humbug!  Indeed...

June (who gladly decorates trees, recognizing their pagan roots, but
doesn't worship them)...

|=======================SEASONS===GREETINGS======================|
|                                                         \ /    |
|      *~o)       )_     )_     )_      )_               - * -   |
|       |`--) ,  ,_)    ,_)    ,_)    ,_/                 / \    |
|      ``^^^``   /~\    /~\    /~\    /~\                        |
|             /             /                 /       |          |
|   \ /      ((            ((                ((      -+-         |
|  - * -    .-#------.    .-#-----.    .------#-.     |          |
|   /|\    /__________\  /_________\  /__________\   /-\         |
|__//|\\____| []  [] |____| [] [] |____| []  [] |___/---\___ldb__|

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.