-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990909b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No MicroSoft programmers died during production of this bulletin. Bother.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Darwin gets a makeover. (BBC) Professor Steve Jones has rewritten Darwin's
  Origin of Species, a book that contains ideas which are just as contro-
  versial today as they were 140 years ago. Fortunately, they're testable.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_443000/443006.stm

@ Links - Charles Darwin - Online Literature:
  http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/
@ The Origin of Species - Website Guide:
  http://hjem.get2net.dk/Paleontology/
@ Urbanowicz on Darwin:
  http://www.csuchico.edu/~curban/Darwin/DarwinSem-S95.html
@ Enter Evolution: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/evolution.html
@ Creation Vs Evolution: http://www.zinezone.com/zines/science/life/scopes/
@ No Answers in Genesis: http://www.onthenet.com.au/~stear/index.htm

: Are you highly evolved? Do you have some ways to go yet? Were you created?
What created y'r creator? What created y'r creator's creator? How d'ya know?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Leaking Earth could run dry. (BBC) Japanese scientists say the Earth
  could be dry and barren within a billion years because water is draining
  into the planet's interior. Polish firm proposes to plug all the holes.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_442000/442040.stm

@ Links - Volcano Watch: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/
@ Ask An Earth Scientist: http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/askanerd.html
# Earth Science and Geology: http://www.uwsp.edu/acaddept/geog/geol.htm

# U.S. Scientists Spot 'Dust Devils' On Mars. WASHINGTON (Reuters) Miniature
  dust storms could be responsible for spreading the red dust that covers
  much of the Martian surface. Scientists have long suspected that so-called
  "dust devils" - which kick up in fields and on dirt roads on a sunny day -
  churn across Mars. But until now, none had ever been seen. Now we have
  pictures: http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/02/science-space-mars

: Do you prefer planets that are wet, dry, in-between? Should we build big
pumps to bring water out of Earth's interior? Should we all leave before
Earth gets as dry & dusty as Mars? Where d'ya wanna go? Will you take a hat?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Study links star blast, black hole. (AP) Scientists have found some of the
  best evidence yet to support the theory that the cataclysmic explosions of
  giant stars can lead to black holes, some of the strangest & least under-
  stood objects in the universe. Researchers analyzed the gases near a star
  that wobbles around a suspected black hole, and deduced that the chemicals
  could have originated only in the blast of a neighboring supernova. See
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561069453-797
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/02/science-science-blackhole

# Gamma-ray burst may have seeded solar system. The formation of the Solar
  System was hurried along by a nearby gamma-ray burst. Rather than aborting
  the birth of planets, the flood of energy may have melted primordial dust
  grains, seeded the formation of meteorites and helped form the rocky
  planets, including Earth. We are stardust, we are golden...
  http://www.explorezone.com/archives/99_09/09_ns_creative_burst.htm

: What are your favorite black holes, supernovae, wormholes, space warps? Do
you exploit astronomical phenomena for personal gain? Do you use'em to make
new solar systems? D'ya encourage the development of life? D'ya warp space?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# The Aegean: The seismic sea. (BBC) The earthquake which shook Athens came
  "out of the blue", say seismologists, as no known fault existed there.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_441000/441701.stm

# Greece & Turkey On Seismic Pane Of Glass. LONDON (Reuters) The earth deep
  underneath quake-hit Greece and Turkey is fracturing like a pane of glass,
  increasing the possibility of further tremors in the region, a UK seismo-
  logist says. http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/02/science-quake-greece

: What's your favorite seismic zone? Do you work to promote/prevent quakes?
What's your fave seismic activity? Do you prefer quakes, volcanos, geysers?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Waco-Rama:

@ Waco Whitewash: http://www.radio4all.org/pfp/wacowhit.htm
@ The truth about Waco - govt role in 74 deaths:
  http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/09/waco/index.html
@ Waco was a Professional Hit; Waco Wizard's Magical Fire:
  http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a37d7044315b3.htm

# FBI says illumination flares fired to monitor compound:
  http://www.tampabayonline.net/news/news102c.htm
# McVeigh's ex-attorney links OKC bombing, Waco, govt lies:
  http://www.oklahoman.com/cgi-bin/getarticle?ID=372785
# Waco - Evidence against BATF and FBI:
  http://www.atlcom.net/~geozim/features/station.htm

# RENO READY TO NAME DANFORTH TO HEAD WACO PROBE:
  http://cnn.com/US/9909/08/reno.waco/index.html
# Ex-Senator Danforth to head Waco inquiry:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561076327-045
# Also: Danforth said to be fair, independent:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561073165-556
# And: Danforth biographical info, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561072686-c70

@ The Great American PRESS And Waco:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/press.htm
# BATF Agents Go Shooting With David Koresh:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/shooting.htm
  http://www.indirect.com/www/dhardy/DK_Shooting.html

# Clear Evidence Our Government Incinerated 76 At Waco:
  http://users.erols.com/igoddard/wacofire.htm
# Threats Made On Former CIA Agent Over Delta Force Disclosure:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/threats.htm
# Waco DataPage: All Waco Stories To Date
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/wacodatapage.html

  "We have to keep an eye on the Orbs, as I suspect they steal Orgone from
   Ashley Rye's tent.  Friendly they may appear, but they is up to bad
   tricks with going into Ashley's tent like that and taking all that fresh
   Orgone.  Poor Ash has got to start all over again." --Paul Whitehead

* http://skepticon.da.ru (updated) * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/SkeptiNews archives: http://skeptifiles.da.ru (belated)
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *