</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000306b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* PLEASE do NOT include the ENTIRE bulletin when you reply; cut/paste, eh?
* Portal to notices, excuses, overflow, links: http://skepticon.pitas.com
* No imperialist warmonger pigs were embarrassed to produce this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Cyborg: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/Haraway/LisaFoo.gif
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Imagining First Contact. (Wired) A role-playing convention imagines what
  the first interplanetary dialogue might be like. Artificial intelligence
  could be helpful -- someday. Big guns, lasers and bad attitudes might
  help too: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,34722,00.html
# Antenna on shuttle Atlantis damaged - mission in jeopardy - sabotage?
  Fate? http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564778485-583

: Have you encountered any aliens lately? Have they damaged your spacecraft?
Do they fart on you? Are ETs (un)friendly, (dis)interested, (un)imaginable?

# Test-Tube Planets: What do racing winds on Jupiter and the snail's- pace
  circulation of molten rock inside Earth have in common? They're all fluids
  whose movements were simulated in a "planet in a test tube" flown aboard
  the Space Shuttle: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/msad03mar_1.htm
# New Satellite Data To Assess Role Clouds Play In Climate Change. Better
  predictions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000306075941.htm

: Have you simulated any planets/biospheres/atmospheres lately? Do you have
any working models? Are you ready to scale them up? Where to put them, eh?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# BADGE OF HONOR OR MARK OF IMPERIALIST SHAME? A century after German arch-
  aeologists hauled back Pergamon's treasures, "it's time for Berlin to
  consider returning some of the antediluvian relics to the land from which
  they were lost." http://www.welt.de/daten/2000/03/06/0306en155532.htx
@ Thanks to Frederick the Great, Prussia was not a state which possessed an
  army,but an army which possessed a state. Model for modern power politics:
http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/02/27/stibooboo02002.html?999

# Bradley, McCain fight for life - smothered by forces of cosmic evil:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564763785-76c
# New York Times endorses Gore, McCain - 'Establishment' closing ranks:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564746231-03f
# Confederate flag rally held in Ala. - reinstate secession, slavery:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564740603-f62

: What's your favorite imperialist action? Is all politics imperial? Is all
art political? Are all conspiracies sexual? Does an army possess a nation
like a pimp possesses a whore? Is power a trinket/payment/trifle/symbol??

# NYPD Cops Convicted Of Plot. (BBC) Three white officers are found guilty
  of conspiring to cover up a colleague's role in a notorious assault on a
  Haitian immigrant. But it's such a *little* conspiracy - no Illuminati!!
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_668000/668188.stm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# UNANSWERED. She thought that with her first book published, she would feel
  complete. But the hollow of anxiety only deepened. She: "I began believing
  spirits talked to me in the bathtub and in the forest.. I knew my stuffed
  animals had feelings and language as I had...I saw the spirit of President
  Lincoln floating next to a beach cabana on Chappaquidick Island after some
  friends & I summoned him on a Ouija board... I started silently conversing
  with Pequot Indians in the wooded areas near my father's Connecticut house
  ,or with Thoreau at the ruins of his shelter on Walden Pond, or with enig-
  matic sea creatures in the dark, seaweedy ocean of Hyannisport." Still
  unanswered: http://www.blueear.com/articles/unanswered_022000.html

: Do you speak with unseen entities? With or without a telephone? Do you see
disembodied entities? With the TV on or off? Do bathtubs/oceans/ponds/rivers
fill y'r memories? Does snowfall on your fluids deafen/depress/diminish you?

# Falling Snow Can Create A Noisy Nuisance ... Underwater. Snowflakes
  falling gently onto the water; nothing could be more quiet and peaceful...
  for humans. But new research shows these falling flakes can create an
  enormous racket to the ears of marine animals and sensitive sonar.
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000305122454.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Federal Attempt to Weaken Privacy Protection Act - sucks greatly:
  http://www.politechbot.com/docs/unlawfulconduct.html
  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/03/05/2157257&mode=thread
  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/03/05/2157257&cid=98

# U.S. Wants to Trace Net Users. (Wired) A forthcoming report commissioned
  by President Clinton recommends more police power and changes to U.S.
  anonymity laws. http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,34720,00.html

: Does your govt/agency/firm/church/cabal have enough surveillance power?
Can you allow The People any privacy at all? Does privacy endanger you? Do
you routinely destroy all incriminating evidence? Do you get away with it?

# Clinton Orders Net Security Review - crack down on everyone, everywhere
  now: http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,12599,00.html
# Historians, libraries lose appeal: govt computer records to be destroyed.
  Coverup: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564776880-48d
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Students rapped for Virgin Mary pro-choice flyers. The prez of Providence
  College says pro-choice posters that feature Mary reflect "anti-Catholic
  bigotry" and he's not about to go easy on their creators. Three students
  behind the messages have been fined $1,000 each and kicked out of school:
  http://projo.com/cgi-bin/frame_it.cgi?URL=/report/pjb/stories/03296001.htm

@ HOLY BLOWFISH: Demonstrate to your children that, that, in this morally
  standardless universe, blowfish can be seen as good, where "good" is
  defined as "utter destruction and elemental Chaos." Set a good example:
  www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Edemon/issues/apr_26_1999/blowfish/blowfish.html

: Does your belief system insist on high/medium/low moral standards? Should
your belief systems be mandatory? If your now-dominant heresy ever loses its
dominance, should all your fellow-believers be rooted out, purged, expelled?

# Pope martyrs 44 beauties - claims, "the voices told me to, so I did!"
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564758032-90c
# Student Prayer Again an Issue for High Court - the hydra that never
  dies: http://www.latimes.com/news/front/20000306/t000021790.html
# Hillary marches in St. Pat's parade - Catholic, Mormon, Orthodox and
  Buddhist saints spin in their graves because of Methodist intrusion:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564772659-633

: Who are your favorite saints? Does your belief system has a unique set of
saints? Do any other belief systems recognize them? Should prayer to/at your
saints/saviours/deities/demons be mandatory in public affairs? Do they work?

# Religious pledge to promote census - monotheists want to be counted:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564780074-bbb
# Court backs Indiana on Good Friday - state may establish religion:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564776706-0de
# Cardinal O'Connor gets Congressional Gold Medal, grants indulgences:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564779224-1c6

  "SURE I believe in GOD - I carved one from soapstone this morning."

* Rev.R.Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.pitas.com * FAX: 603-415-3736
* SkeptiNews bulletins now *ONLINE* at: http://skeptinews.pitas.com/
* Fringes of: Science, Faith, Paranormal, Conspiracy, Sex, Dope, Art