</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000124b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No animals were thrown from church steeples to produce this bulletin...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Time is an object: http://www.syncmediacom.com/q2rock/bomk.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Probe of UFO continues in Illinois - mystery of "floating house" remains.
  It's been over 2 weeks since 4 Illinois cops & a miniature-golf course
  owner saw a UFO soaring over western Illinois, and still no answers have
  emerged. "We still have no idea who flew it. We don't know if it was a
  military plane or... something else. But the investigation is ongoing."
  http://lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lvother/2000/jan/24/509752631.html

: Have you probed any UFOs lately? Have you found firm answers? Were they
fed to you by the voices in your head? Would you rather find or manufacture
answers? Do y'r answers raise more questions that can be probed? Can/do you
make a career of this? Is the pay good? Who's paying you? What's their take?

@ Praise of Folly: http://fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1509erasmus-folly.html
@ When a President Says He's Seen a UFO... You Really Have to Wonder If
  the Truth Is Out There... http://www.caus.org/hk012400.htm
@ Paul Verhoeven's Jesus Seminar, the movie:
  http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=5060
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Top gun astronomers spy asteroid. (BBC) Astronomers in America have been
  flying in supersonic fighter aeroplanes in order to get a better look at
  the stars. The "top gun" scientists are able to fly over clouds, which
  might obscure a view, and easily reach remote vantage points, such as
  over the open ocean. Using the military planes also means they can be
  "scrambled" to spy on short-lived astronomical events. Take my point:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_617000/617214.stm

# Also - Astronomer's prize catch, and we didn't even need a net:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_613000/613325.stm
# Saving the world from asteroids - but are we worth the effort?
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_590000/590622.stm
# Next generation space planes are GO. (BBC) Shoot me up, Scotty:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_429000/429825.stm

: What's your favorite flying observatory? Can you shoot down stuff from it?
Can/will/have you shot down competing observatories? Is astronomy the moral
equivalent of war? Have you scrambled on a UFO lately? Did you catch it? Eh?

@ Future X: http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/futurex/index.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Licensing procedure for GM organisms is fallible. The procedure used by
  European & global authorities when granting licenses for genetically
  modified organisms is a flawed one. Although applicants are required to
  provide information about the dangers of the newly developed biotechnology
  to man and the environment, they themselves decide to some extent what
  information is relevant.  The applicant ­who is naturally an interested
  party­ is therefore in a position to influence the outcome of the approval
  procedure by deciding that certain information is irrelevant to the risk
  assessment. http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/nosr-lpf012000.html

: Does this press release scare the poop right out of you? Is it news? Have
GM products damaged the environment, other lifeforms, you? How? Got proof?

# Study of uranium risk. (BBC) A group of UK scientists are launching an
  independent study into the dangers of depleted uranium used in making
  missiles and shells. Could shed light on the cause of Gulf War Syndrome:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_616000/616438.stm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CIA Wonk Cites Weapons Threats. LANGLEY, Va. (Reuters)  The CIA's chief of
  intelligence analysis sez he's concerned about growing evidence of "secon-
  dary proliferation" as countries striving to obtain nuclear, biological &
  chemical weapons share information with other aspirants. "The problem of
  proliferation of weapons of mass destruction is becoming more complex and
  difficult": http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000124/pl/cia_threats_1.html

# CIA Analysts Not Oracles, But Aim for Answers. LANGLEY (Reuters) - They're
  expected to be know-it-alls. From the latest coup to a terrorist plot or
  the fragility of an overseas economy, the CIA's intelligence analysts must
  divine the real story & its implications. US policymakers ask CIA analysts
  to predict, project & sum up events in global hot spots, and some that are
  more obscure. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000124/pl/life_cia_1.html

: Have you analyzed any intelligence lately? Do you have any intelligence to
analyze? Are y'r analyses usable, accurate, meaningful? D'ya prognosticate?

# US sets out its evidence on bin Laden network. NEW YORK -- United States
  prosecutors have filed court documents that paint a detailed picture of
  how Osama bin Laden directed what they say was a worldwide terrorism
  conspiracy. http://www.smh.com.au/news/0001/24/world/world2.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# China busts underground Catholics. BEIJING (AP) Cops in north China have
  arrested five members of the underground Roman Catholic church, including
  a bishop who already has spent some two decades in jail. Back in the slam-
  mer again: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563581839-b28

# Goat throw raises tempers. MANGANESES DE LA POLVOROSA, Spain (AP) - In the
  annual tug-of-war between townspeople & animal rights activists, the goat
  won. For the first time in years, this village 150 miles NW of Madrid held
  its festival of St. Vincent, the town's patron saint, without tossing a
  live goat from the church bell tower. The animal is traditionally dropped
  50 feet, then safely caught in a tarp. But the town council said the event
  would not take place this year, threatening fines of $1,500-$15,000 for
  anyone who helped throw the goat. The origins of the ritual are unclear.
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574578-322

: What would you rather toss from a church steeple: goats, pigs, Communists,
Mormons, anti-personnel grenades, psychedelics, porn, crosses, robots, me?

@ EXTRA!! Urban legends <http://www.snopes.com/> meets corporate America
  <http://www.thecorporation.com/> as Proctor and Gamble try desperately
  to debunk <http://www.pg.com/rumor/faqs.html> the Satanic church myth.
  And get The Word at http://www.memepool.com/Subject/Religion/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Elian-A-Rama:

# Grandmothers hope for Elian meeting, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563590702-ae6
# Also: Cuban-Americans split on Elian, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563587692-f06
# And: Candidates' positions on Cuba, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563587318-227

@ WHAT IF ELIAN WERE JEWISH? http://newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/1/23/193251
@ KEEP ELIAN FREE! http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/1/23/231037
# Father wails: "Stop calling my son ALIEN!! He's not an ET!!" Ay carumba.

"I tried snorting Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose." --anon

* Rev. R.Carter, ULC * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringes of: Science, Faith, Sex, Dope, Art, Paranormal, Conspiracy
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm