</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000117b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No propagandists were harmed to make this bulletin. But they should be.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ knotty: www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/imager/contributions/scharein/KnotPlot.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# WHAT THE FINAL FRONTIER CAN DO TO YOUR BODY. A trip into space - a quick
  way to shrink your thighs, become anemic and lose your sense of taste.
  Fun: http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=25568
@ Silver Spheres, Gazing Balls, UFO's & Me: http://www.caus.org/hk011700.htm

: Do Grays look that way because they've been in zero-gee too long? Do you
want to travel in space? Do you want to look like a gray? Are you tasteless
already? Do you need strong spices, fresh blood, electroshock, mescaline??

# Several Reports on Large UFO in Illinois: http://www.caus.org/mu011700.htm
# Millstadt Police Dept: http://millstadtpolice.homepage.com/aircraft.html
# www.apbnews.com/cjprofessionals/behindthebadge/2000/01/12/ufo0112_01.html
# Re-creation of Millstadt UFO: http://home.fuse.net/ufo/camouflage1.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 'Common cold' virus drug near. EXTON, Pa. (AP) - Certainly a cure for the
  common cold would be a big story all by itself. But how about a medicine
  that also stops viral meningitis, summer flu, Deadly newborn infections,
  Even polio? One drug that does all this is VERY close and if large-scale
  testing goes well, it could be in drugstores within a year. Pleconaril
  (pronounced plah-CONN-ah-rill) is in a short list of medicines that kill
  viruses. This drug blocks an entire category of them, a set of 169 dist-
  inctly different nasties that together cause more human disease than any
  other. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563310854-4ee
# Also: Discovery of viral makeup spurs drug, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563310884-3f9

: Are diseases really strong messages from the deities? Should these heather
scientists be prevented from interfering with divine will? Would you thwart
your deities' intentions by taking these damnable medications? Do you pray?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# INCREASED INFLUENCE: US TV networks' controversial relationship with White
  House anti-drug campaigners took a strange turn over the weekend when a
  top ABC exec said the govt office had tried to increase its influence over
  program content. Last season, networks earned financial credits through a
  federally funded media campaign by submitting tapes of completed shows
  that included anti-drug themes. But this season, ABC pres. Patricia Fili-
  Krushel said, the network was told that it would have to submit scripts in
  advance to qualify for govt support. Her remarks contradict a statement
  issued Saturday by the White House's Office of National Drug Control
  Policy. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/gam/Arts/20000117/TAJOHN.html

# "NOW WE KNOW WHY!" Friday was a day of finger-pointing and confusion as
  networks, studios and the U.S. govt all denied they were in cahoots to
  control content on prime time TV shows. The deputy director of the White
  House Office of National Drug Control Policy went to Pasadena to present
  the results of a government-sponsored poll to the nation's television
  critics. The study shows that positive depictions of illicit drug use
  on prime time TV are almost non-existent. Critics demanded to know if
  the government doctored scripts on popular TV shows to get that anti-
  drug message across. http://examiner.com/000115/0115goodman.html

: Who's your favorite propagandist? Do you prefer propaganda from TV nets,
the US govt, corporate sponsers, religious broadcasters, aliens, robots, me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Monk wants to revive black crown. NEW DELHI, India (AP)  The young Tibetan

  monk who fled last week to India wants to revive the Black Crown ceremony,
  a 300-year-old tradition lost since the death of his predecessor. Devotees
  see the black crown as the earthly embodiment of the aura that surrounds
  the Karmapa, leader of the Karma Kagyu sect of Buddhism founded 900 years
  ago. The defecting 17th Karmapa, wants to go to Sikkim's Rumtek monastery
  to reclaim the crown, the symbol of his enlightenment. See
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563329430-869
# Also: Young monk may emerge as leader, see
   http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563330239-97f
# And: More Chinese turning to religion, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563357991-9de

# Karmapa Lama 'to stay in India'. (BBC) A top Indian official says the
  Tibetan religious leader, the Karmapa Lama, can stay put - for now.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_605000/605769.stm

: What's your favorite traditional ritual? Is your belief system laden with
rituals? Are rituals liberating, enslaving, inspiring, boring? Do the best
rituals involve life, death, art, sex, dominance, submission, glory, fear?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Crime rate soars in Afghanistan capital. KABUL (AP) Crime is increasing in
  Kabul, residents say, and some blame the upswing on a lull in the ruling
  Taliban's practice of publicly punishing criminals. The Taliban follow a
  harsh brand of Islamic law that calls for public executions of murderers,
  limb amputation of thieves & lashings for those who commit lesser crimes.
  Such punishments had been carried out almost weekly until about 3 months
  ago. "Western countries condemn cutting off hands and feet, but I support
  this because it prevents crime," said a Kabul resident whose brother was
  killed in a robbery. Others say poverty after 20 years of war is to blame
  for crime. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563357902-c7f

: Are you a criminal 'cause you're impoverished, demon-plagued, greedy, mis-
diagnosed, mind-controlled, sociopathic? Does amputation cure you of crime?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

THIS MODERN WORLD - Tom Tomorrow. www.salon.com/comics/tomo/2000/01/10/tomo/

 I had the strangest dream the other night... George W. Bush said that the
political philosopher who'd most influenced him was ODIN...
  Bush: Yes, that's right -- the Norse god of wisdom and victory! I turned
   my life over to him and it changed my heart! You got a problem with that?
Gary Bauer and Steve Forbes kept talking about their deep and abiding faith
in the UNARIAN SPACE BROTHERS...
  Bauer: They'll arrive soon, you know... from planets as diverse as Zeton,
   Severus, Kallium and Brundage!
  Forbes: Yes... just as it was foretold by the infallible archangel Uriel!
...And Al Gore wanted everyone to know that he often turns to the spirit of
ELVIS for solace and inspiration!
  Gore: The King says I should eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich and
   shoot some damn TV screens all to hell..
  Aide: Er-I'm not quite sure how that applies to our campaign strategy,sir.
Fortunately, it was just a CRAZY DREAM!
  Woman: Boy, was it EVER!
  Man: Yeah, I mean... who ever heard of a NON-CHRISTIAN PRESIDENTIAL
   CANDIDATE!  Woman: Ha, Ha!  Man: Ha, Ha!

  "I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like to be taught."
   -- Winston Churchill

* Rev.R.Carter, ULC * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Dope/Music * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Plots *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm