</A> -Cui Bono?-

blue honey wrote:

> That's a very interesting post, as you can probably tell I'm reading that
> book too.  My concern is the mind set of today, why grown adults blindly
> believe something that is obviously untrue.

Consider the following scenario:

[also note that the Priesthood theory in my previous post
should be taken in context with the theories on the "origins
of human power structures" by Bucky Fuller (re: "Legally
Piggily" & "Grunch of Giants") and Lysander Spooner in
Part III of "Natural Law; Or the Science of Justice", see:
<http://www.geocities.com/philately.geo/terrocrat.htm>
Integrated with what follows, it's a bit more palatable]:

--
from:
"The Anatomy of Slavespeak" by Frederick Mann

Two Tribes

Consider two different isolated tribes somewhere in the
jungles of South America. Call them Tribe 1 and Tribe 2.
Each has its unique language with its own structure. The
language of Tribe 1 (Language 1) tends to be very literal. A
man who fishes, for example, is called "man-who-fishes." The
same man, while sleeping, is called "man-who-sleeps"; while
talking, "man-who-talks"; while running, "man-who-runs";
while eating, man-who-eats"; while writing,
"man-who-writes"; while making a chair,
"man-who-makes-chair"; while giving orders,
"man-who-gives-orders"; etc. In Language 1, distinctions are
made between different kinds of words: "Thing-words,"
"Do-words," "How-words," "Story-words," "Funny-words,"
"Order-words," "Panic-words," "What-words," "Who-words,"
"Why-words," "When-words," "Where-words," etc. High-level
abstractions are rare in language 1. To the people of Tribe
1, any word that doesn't refer to something physically
perceivable, is highly suspect. Their test for reality is
physical.

The language of Tribe 2 (Language 2) is very different. A
man who obtains his wherewithal mostly by fishing, is called
"fisherman." (This system of nomenclature would seem absurd
to the people of Tribe 1 -- how can you call someone a
"fisherman" when he is not fishing, but sleeping?) Language
2 contains many high-level abstractions -- like "happiness."
People from Tribe 2 can talk for hours about "happiness."
(To someone from Tribe 1, this would be incomprehensible --
they only talk about "woman-who-is-happy" while she is
happy, and "woman-who-is-sad" while she is sad. The notion
that you could separate "happiness" from a real person being
happy, and talk about "happiness" as if it existed by
itself, would be completely unthinkable to someone from
Tribe 1.)

To the people from Tribe 2, any word being used is
automatically assumed to be part of existence, otherwise
people wouldn't use it. (To someone from Tribe 1, the word
"existence" would be a meaningless absurdity, because in
their mentality only particular objects exist.) In Tribe 2,
the test for reality is agreement. If other people agree
with a word and the way it seems to be used, then that word
is automatically accepted as valid and useful.

One day a strange man arrives at the place where the people
of Tribe 1 live. They ask him: "Who you?" He: "I King."
They: "Your name King?" He: "No; my name John." They: "Why
call self King if name John?" He: "I special person, agent
of God." They: "You look different but not special; who
God?" He: "God creator of world." They: "Where God?; How
create world?" He: "God everywhere; God all-powerful." They:
"How we see God?" He: "Can't see God." They: "You speak
crazy." He: "No; I special; I show you." Whereupon the
stranger performs various tricks like apparently making
objects appear and disappear. They: "You clever
man-who-tricks." He: "I special; I King." They: "You speak
funny; you clever John-who-tricks." He: "I King; my word
law." They: "What law? -- special word?" He: "Yes; my word
law -- you must obey." They: "Ah! You mean order-word!" He:
"Yes; I King; I make law." They: "No; you speak order-word?"
He: "Yes; I special." They: "What special? -- Anybody speak
order-word?" He: "You not understand." They: "No."

Eventually John-the-stranger gives up trying to convince the
people of Tribe 1 that he has a "special status" and that
his words are different from the words of anyone else -- so
he leaves, to search for more gullible and impressionable
victims elsewhere...

For many days and nights he trudges through the jungle
before discovering the people of Tribe 2. They: "Who you?"
He: "I King." They: "Your name King?" He: "No, my name
John." They: "Why call self King if name John?" He: "I
special person, agent of God." They: "You look different;
what God?" He: "God creator of world." They: Where God?; How
create world?" He "God everywhere; God all-powerful." They:
"Show special?" Whereupon the stranger performs various
tricks like apparently making objects appear and disappear.
They: "You King, agent of God." He: "Yes, my word law."
They: "What law?" He: "Law special word of God through me;
you must obey." Whereupon the people of Tribe 2 bow down and
kiss the feet of John -- they do not habitually test
abstractions against reality, so they readily accept
John-the-stranger as their "King" and his word as "law."
Thereafter all he has to do to subjugate, control, and
dominate them, is open his mouth...

"Language creates spooks that get into our heads and
hypnotize us." -- Robert Anton Wilson, Introduction to The
Tree of Lies (by Christopher S. Hyatt. Ph.D.)

"It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your
head." -- Sally Kempton

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the
mind of the oppressed." -- Steve Biko

The people from Tribe 1 reject the Slavespeak words of John
the would-be-terrocrat -- making them impossible to
subjugate, control, and dominate. To them the terrocrat is
merely a clever liar and trickster.

The Tribe 2 people accept John's word "King" to describe
himself. They believe that "King" John has special powers
because of the tricks he performs and because of his
connection to "God." By accepting John's terrocrat words
they automatically place him in a superior position and
themselves in inferior positions. Just by accepting,
believing, and using the terrocrat word "King," they yield
their power to the terrocrat -- they subjugate themselves.

It's worth emphasizing that just by accepting the
concepts/words of the would-be tyrant, you place yourself at
a huge disadvantage. By doing so, you relinquish your power,
enabling the would-be tyrant to become an actual tyrant.
Instead of laughing at his silly notions, you'll probably
end up begging him to "change the law" so you can be free.
And guess who has the last laugh!