From: "Samantha L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Yes, from what I remember in "Above Top Secret", they just repeat these 19th
>>century stories, they do not 'document' them by doing research and gain any
>>corraborating evidence.
>
>   As I recall, it named the papers, dates and authors as well as the
> accounts.  If witness accounts are not meaningful to you, so be it.  Good has
> the newspaper accounts.  I'm not quite sure how he would corroborate the
> stories with DEAD PEOPLE.

By research.  All the book does is recount old news articles, most of which it
got from other UFO books, and does not list direct reference.  IOW, it does
NOT give the page numbers the articles are found on, because the writer never
read the article directly in the paper, but depends on what other publications
have said about the articles.

And even then, all you have is an old newspaper article about what certain
people CLAIM to have seen.  This is no 'proof' of anything, except that some
people claim to have seen something strange.  We have no way of 'proving'
whether the article is a hoax of the newspaper (not unknown back in those days),
a hoax of the supposed witnesses, and if the witnesses ARE reliable, we have no
way of knowing whether someone was playing a hoax on them...

I can show you a newspaper article from a reliable newspaper back in 1892, that
names witnesses and gives their addresses, who all claimed to have witnessed
Lizzie Borden arguing with her father shortly before the infamous ax murders;
some witnesses even claimed to have seen one of the murders committed in an
upstairs room while the witness was on the street below.

As it turned out, not only would it have been impossible to have seen anything
from that angle (perhaps the ceiling), within a few days it was found that the
reporter had made up all the names and addresses, that none of the supposed
witnesses even existed.

So just because we today can lay our hands on a Victorian-era newspaper article,
there is not one reason why what is stated in the article should be taken at
face value without other corraborating evidence.

> >It is, perhaps, 'documentation' of what a number of eye-witnesses claim to
> >have seen.  It tells us nothing regarding the real nature of what was seen.
> >Eye-witness testimony is highly subjective, colored by the intellect and
> >emotions of the observer.
>
>   Standard assertion.

Standard TRUTH.  Ask any policeman who has to deal with eyewitness testimony
to a crime.  It's actually pretty unreliable, and gets more unreliable the
more emotional the event.

> Thousands of people have been simulatenous witnesses
> to unidentified flying objects.

'Simultaneous' means that they all saw it at the same time, during the same
event.  Tell us more about this ONE event where 'thousands' at that one time
saw the same thing...

>   I hope you don't believe anything you've ever read about history, since it
> all comes ultimately from witness accounts which are apparently "highly
> subjective, colored by the intellect and emotions of the observer."

But also subject to research, comparing multiple accounts of the same events.

Actually I DON'T believe everything I read regarding history.  History is
written by the victors, and so, yes, tends to be highly subjective, colored
by not only the intellect and emotions of the writer, but his prejudices, too...

June

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL