[EMAIL PROTECTED],Internet writes:

>Whose conservative estimate? The NRA's?

Mine.

It is, admittedly, a difficult thing to estimate. Gun ownership is a lot
like sex and drugs. Some people lie about it. Even more simply omit the
truth, or part of the truth. So it's impossible to get an absolutely
correct figure.

An even more conservative estimate than mine can be found at:

     http://www.ncjrs.org/txtfiles/165476.txt

This study  says 44 million. It was done by phone. The true figure is
undoubtedly higher. How much higher is impossible to ascertain.

But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that 44 million is the correct
figure.

Now you tell me: How many people are in law enforcement and the military
combined? How many of them are  combat troops and active duty beat cops
(as opposed to cooks, drivers and desk jockeys)? How many of those can be
counted on to be loyal to their commanders and not to the Constitution
they swore to protect?

This last question is the most important. Personally, I think the
Constitution is a meaningless scrap of paper that the plutocrats use to
deceive us into thinking we are ruled by laws and not by plutocrats. Most
people in the military and in law enforcement feel differently. How many
of them feel how differently remains to be seen.