-Caveat Lector-

> > As I went to private school for 13 years, no one's taxes went to my
> education.
>
> I find that hard to believe.  How and where were your teachers educated?
> What text books did you use?  What curriculum did you follow?  What
> technology was used in your school?  Where was that technology
> developed?  What roads did you use to get to school?  Did you have
> electricity?  Plumbing?  Pardon me if you were educated on a
> self-sustaining commune that produced its own paper and ink.

I suspect my private school tuition paid for technology, electricity,
curriculum, plumbing, books. Very generally, road constrution has been financed
in this country by gas and other transportaion taxes.

I should count a teacher of mine attending public school 30 years ago as a tax
contribution to my education?

The fact of the matter is that my parents, and everyone that home-schools or
sends kids to private school, is paying for TWO educations. I've yet to hear a
reason why this is fair, moral, or just.

> > My parents, who certainly did not qualify as even middle class, paid for my
> > education twice.... ~$1500 a year for the private schools, and their taxes
> > while the public schools were sucking up $8K+ per student per year.
>
> That was your parents choice.  However, I find it hard to believe that
> your tuition was $1,500 per year for a private school.  And, actually,
> without knowing what country you live in, there is no point talking the
> nuts and bolts of numbers.  I'm from Canada where education is primarily
> a provincial matter.

Catholic grade school was $800 a year in the 1980's, and high school was under
$2K a year. Sure, there were some low-paid nuns teaching, but it was more than
50% lay teachers. This was in New Jersey.

> But I think that, in a sense, you are talking about deregulating
> education, much the same as electricity was deregulated in California?
>

> > And, beside the benefit to childless people of not paying these insane
> taxes,
> > eliminating the current public school situation would be the best way to
> > achieve your goal of "providing children with a good education."
>
> The children here do receive a good education.  I can see nothing to be
> gained whatsoever by 'eliminating' the school system - it might make an
> interesting science fiction story though.

Well apparently the National Education Association does not have the juice in
Canada that it has in the United States. Especially in big cities... where many
residents are poor minorities and their kids are essentially hostages to the
school system.... they simply will not allow the necessary reforms.

This is a charming topic, but I think we have wandered away from "Conspiracy,"
and I hate when people do that. :)

jeff

http://auctions.yahoo.com/