-Caveat Lector-

--- Nessie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -Caveat Lector-
>
> >childless people... would not be paying taxes to support schools that
> our  nonexistent children are not attending.
>

> It is difficult to tell, without knowing you personally, whether you are
> a supremely selfish person or merely shortsighted. I'll give you the
> benefit of the doubt and assume that you are merely shortsighted because
> selfish people deserve nothing but the universal and continuing contempt
> and derision of all their fellow humans. That is, unless they attempt to
> use the armed might of the state to enforce their sick and evil
> philosophy on the rest of us. Then they should be rounded up and herded
> off a cliff, and good riddance to bad rubbish.
>
> So let's assume that you are merely shortsighted. Two explanations are
> possible. Perhaps you suffer from a congenital cognitive  deficit. It
> that case it is our duty to pity you, and help you when you need it, to
> dress yourself, tie your shoes, wipe your butt and make you a sandwich
> now and then and other stuff that is beyond the capacity of some one
> whose cognition is so impaired that they cannot even perceive the self
> evident benefits of living in a society of educated people..
>
> But I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on that, too. Maybe
> you are neither supremely evil nor terminally stupid. Maybe you've been
> brainwashed. Hey, it happens sometimes. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
> Lots of people have been brainwashed. Not to worry. There's a cure. Turn
> off your TV, burn your Ayn Rand books and think for yourself for a
> change. Thank about this:
>
> In a society which does not educate every single member to the greatest
> extent of their ability, what happens? When you figure it out, let us
> know. You should be able to do this be cause you, yourself, are
> educated. You were educated, at least in part, through the efforts and
> extent of childless people. keep that in mind whilst you cogitate.

To answer your question about society, simply look at the crime statistics from
any big city. That's what happens when we don't educate people. While problems
in these cities have several causes, education is certainly one of them.

Not only did I receive some education from childless people, I served some time
as a college instructor, and any of my students that interacted closely with me
would certainly testify that I cared a great deal about their education.

Why do people equate "[educating] every single member to the greatest extent of
their ability" with maintaining the current public school fiasco in many
cities? Would you look at the drop-out rates or reading & writing aptitude of
the students in many school systems and say that we are "educating every single
member to the greatest extent of their ability." If you think we are, you must
assume we have an incredible number of stupid folks in high school that are
simply incapable of learning. I don't think that at all.

When I come across people in college that can't put a coherent sentence on
paper, I feel that they have been robbed. It's criminal. Why should I be happy
about my tax dollars supporting such an enterprise? I'm sure the government
does many things with your tax money that you consider criminal or immoral; I
find the perpetuation and protection of failing tax-funded schools to be one of
these things. We're depriving many, many people of the basic level of literacy
needed to function.

I don't mind paying taxes for roads, for example, because I more or less pay
for roads when I use them and they more or less work as advertised. No sane
person would say that these troubled school systems are delivering on their
mission.

So when you have an idea on how the public schools can educate people to the
fullest extent of their ability in Detroit, and Philly, and Oakland, and
Atlanta, and Baltimore, and Newark, and many other places, you let us know.
We've tried showering them with money and that does not work. I know that not
from reading Ayn Rand but from looking at the schools where I greu up. I really
do hope you think of something. I certainly don't expect a reasonable answer
from the NEA or from politicians.

I don't think I'm selfish, shortsighted, or brainwashed (well how would I know
if I was brainwashed?) and I watch very little TV and have never read a single
paragraph of Ayn Rand. I'm simply observing a disaster, expressing how I think
it's robbing and cheating so many people, and also voicing my opposition to
funding such a thing.

and what does this have to do with consipiracy????????

jeff

http://auctions.yahoo.com/