-Caveat Lector-

--- inri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -Caveat Lector-
>
> > The fact of the matter is that my parents, and everyone that home-schools
> or
> > sends kids to private school, is paying for TWO educations. I've yet to
> hear a
> > reason why this is fair, moral, or just.
>
> because, otherwise, those who can't afford to pay for their education won't
> get one. you can afford to pay for multiple educations while not
> jeopordizing your high standard of living. therefore, it is your
> responsibility. do you want to live in a society where the vast majority of
> people cannot afford to educate themselves? well, george bush DOES - and if
> you do not voice the other opinion (my opinion) and continue to contribute
> to public education, this WILL be the outcome. forget about yourself for a
> moment and think of the welfare of others less fortunate than yourself - and
> fortunate is it, man - you're where you are by chance and if you deny that
> you're daft.

would you care to describe to me the high standard of living I had as a child?
Did you know me?

We do have people in this country that can not afford to educate themselves.
Currently, we take money.... sometimes $10000+ per student per year.... and
send them to a place where there is strong possiblity that at the end of four
years we'll have, as a result of the $40000 spent, a person that cannot read a
job application or a childrens's novel and can't figure out change on a ten
dollar bill if a transaction costs $8.25. Would you care to cite for me the
private schools where this is the case?

We provide various forms of assistance to poor people in this country. We
provide food stamps, yet you don't have to spend them at a government food
store. We provide some medical coverage, which many private doctors will honor.
In some cases, we send a check which can be cashed and spent on whatever the
hell the recipient would like to buy. Why not give poor people another check
and say "here, find yourself a good school for your child. One that provides as
much or as little academic rigor, structure, and moral training as you desire."
?

Why is the government in the school business? I would not mind so much if it
worked. For too many people, it doesn't work.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/