-Caveat Lector-

Euphorian spotted this on the Guardian Unlimited site and thought you should see it.

To see this story with its related links on the Guardian Unlimited site, go to
http://www.guardian.co.uk

Cut, cut and cut again at BP
Gold-plated performer loses lustre after dumping forecasts for third time
Terry Macalister
Tuesday October 29 2002
The Guardian

BP, Britain's biggest company and one of its most reliable performers, yesterday
shocked the City by cutting its oil and gas output forecasts for the third time in
eight weeks.

The setback led to a fall in shares of 6% to 397p, their lowest for four years,
further denting the formerly gold-plated reputation of chief executive Lord Browne.

The country's most profitable group also reported a 13% fall in third quarter earnings
to $2.3bn (£1.5bn) and downgraded its "self-help" targets for cost-cutting from
$1.4bn for the year to between $1.2bn and $1.4bn.

BP made clear it plans an attack on costs and underlined the threat to jobs by
confirming a big shake-up was on the way for Sullom Voe, Europe's biggest oil and gas
terminal.

Output targets have become a key indicator for oil groups - Shell's shares were
hammered last year when it admitted its forecasts were too optimistic.

Lord Browne made little attempt to evade responsibility for the failure, admitting he
had not left enough "headroom" for things to go wrong.

He blamed the latest blow to upstream production targets on hurricanes in the Gulf of
Mexico as well as operational difficulties in Alaska and the North Sea.

The company said it had added to its own problems by reallocating too much capital
spending away from sustaining base production to longer term growth projects where it
saw better returns.

There had been no easy ways of bringing in new production through corporate
acquisitions, said BP, because higher crude prices had left companies fully valued.

"The past nine months have not been happy ones for this part of our operations. We had
  hoped to grow our oil and gas output by 5.5% for the year, but we have failed to do
so," Lord Browne explained.

"The net impact is that we now expect production growth of around 3% for 2002. This is
deeply disappointing," he added. Long term targets were being reassessed, he said, as
he rejects acquisitions as a means of getting out of trouble.

The oil major had promised to increase output by between 5.5% to 7.0% between 2000 and
2005. It denied this ambitious goal had been shelved but said it would cost an extra
$1bn to get there. "The key question we are now asking ourselves is: should we [spend
that]?" An answer to that is promised at a full-year financial results briefing in
February, along with detailed plans for cutting costs, including the possible sale of
upstream assets.

Lord Browne said the problems had led to a focus on efficiency, and whether the
successive mergers with Amoco and Arco had led to too great a rise in overheads.

"Field level costs are under control, but the question is the overheads we carry above
them. We have too much complexity and a little middle-aged spread. We will address
this," he said. Some cash would be saved   through lower performance bonuses,
including his own, but Lord Browne declined to comment on whether there would be a
change in senior personnel. Over 550 people work at Sullom Voe in the Shetland Islands
and part-owner BP admits there must be savings.

Chief financial officer John Buchanan has already announced his retirement; he will be
replaced on November 21 by Byron Grote, the chief executive of BP Chemicals.

Analysts described the production failures as "very disappointing", and Merrill Lynch
cut its recommendation from "buy" to "neutral".

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>