In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:30:13 +0100, Michael
Widerkrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

mc> A simple menu item like this:
mc>
mc>   menu "foo"
mc>   {
mc>      "räksmörgås" f.nop
mc>   }

Aha, I inserted a similar one in my main menu, making sure it really
becamse encoded in UTF-8 (so yeah, when I look at the file, I get
weird characters, as you can see in the attached picture), and it came
out PERFECT in the menu (with proper swedish characters).

This means that when you have a UTF-8 locale, the X library simply
assumes that whatever comes in is encoded using UTF-8, and will simply
skip over anything that doesn't decode properly, such as single
ISO-8859-1 characters with the high bit set.

At this point, this is actually understandable.  Neither ctwm nor Xlib
has any possibility to know what encoding is used on the strings they
get, so they will naturally assume that the user has a consistent
environment, not something that's a mix of several charsets.

So, I guess I should start with teaching Emacs to make titles using
UTF-8 ;-).

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis