On Fri 05 Jan 2007 at 01:03:57 +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Yes, with that, XmbTextPropertyToTextList() will translate whatever it
> gets to ISO-8859-1.  Try nl_NL.UTF-8 and see what happens.

I keep getting different results than Zvi :-)

With LC_CTYPE unset, I get the same as I reported before (i.e. no spaces
after the question marks).
With LC_CTYPE set to nl_NL.UTF-8, the question marks just completely
disappear from the title. There are also no spaces. Maybe that is
because the font doesn't contain the character. In my (latin-1) xterm, I
get (and I hope it gets across "correctly" in this mail)
WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "Zvi HarâElâs Jules Verne Collection - Deer Park"
with a-circumflex characters in place of the apostrophes.

> BTW, the reason that you get question marks instead of the apostrophes
> is probably that the UTF-8-encoded apostrophe doesn't have a proper
> translation in ISO-8859-1.  But that's just a guess.

I am guessing the same. This stuff is tricky sometimes...

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.