On Tuesday 21 April 2009 09:36:05 am Paul McNett wrote:
> Asaf Greenberg wrote:
> > Hi
> > Is Dabo suitable for small utilities?
>
> Small GUI utilities, or command-line?
>
> > It take about 12-15 seconds on my laptop to start the simplest Dabo
> > application (created using the designer, each time i start it, i.e. OS
> > cache didn't matter).
>
> How fast does this run (put it in a test.py file and run it):
>
> {{{
> import time
> import dabo
> beg = time.time()
> dabo.ui.loadUI("wx")
> app = dabo.dApp()
> app.setup()
>
> def onActivate(evt):
>       app.finish()
>
> app.MainForm = dabo.ui.dForm(OnActivate=onActivate)
> app.start()
>
> end = time.time()
> print """
> Seconds to import dabo, instantiate a dApp, instantiate
> a dForm, and close the app:""", end-beg
>
> }}}
>
> This will help determine if Python/Dabo is slow, or something in your
> form design or even in the cdxml conversion is the issue.
>
> Here's three runs on my Ubuntu 8.10 on not very impressive hardware:
> 3.82075691223
> 1.3194899559
> 1.3800508976
>
> > Is that normal? Or maybe Dabo is aimed only toward big applications?
>
> Dabo is aimed for big apps, yes. But, my big application loads and
> presents the first form to the user in less than 5 seconds.
>
> > Or is there any way to reduce this time?
>
> Nate's suggestion of having an umbrella app loaded was pretty good. You
> could load it once and then select utilities from a menu or some sort of
> GUI.
>
> Paul

My slowest form loads in 7 seconds on the avg.  This is on three year old
hardware (lots of ram 4 gb) using openSUSE.  The same form runs much faster
on windows XP around 4-5 second loads.

With that said I have most everything available from Dabo on the form.  Twenty
nine bizobj's with lots of virtual fields, lots of joins, lots of parent
child and grandchild relations, etc..  I have almost every control available
from Dabo including the standard textboxes, date controls, check boxes, radio
controls, dropdown boxes, tab pages, popup dialogs that contain Checklist.

My point is the load time is reasonable.  I have experimented with all sorts
of ways to improve the load time without any real success.  I then decided to
test the load time against VFP.  I did not have to write the VFP form from
scratch because my current project requires that I emulate a VFP form in
Dabo.  IOW I created the Dabo form based on the VFP form.   I found it was
not that different. VFP for a similar form took around 4-5 seconds (on
windows of course).   In fact I discovered that I could get VFP to load even
slower if I wasn't careful.

I have thought about providing a splash screen while in the background loading
of wx, and other modules required took place.  But I haven't done anything
about doing it.

--
John Fabiani