On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM, johnf <jfabi...@yolo.com> wrote:

> The developer has access to Writer and Calc (and of course all the other
> openOffice tools).  There are two ways to control openOffice the built-in
> scripting language (like VBA) and pyUNO.  The first required I learn yet
> another language.  So I ruled that out.  The second worked but required
> that
> I learn enough of the feature set of openOffice to cause me to reconsider.
> have coded for Word and Excel in the past.  And my memories were that it
> was
> a PITA.  And last - I had to have openOffice installed somewhere
> (openOffice
> will work a server).  Believe it or not but some of my client don't want to
> let go of M$.  But one big is openOffice can print to almost any printer
> and
> almost anywhere there is a connection.

Last time I checked PyUNO requires using the Python distributed along with
OppenOffice, a compilation issue. This is at least true for windows and
generally not true for Linux distribs because they custom compile there
basic installs / repositories. Althought, it is not really a show stopper,
it implies running the PyUNO programs with that interpreter, and if that is
on the server, then you have to know who sent what, when is going to get,
manage queues, etc.

Also, like John mentions the uno interface is really a PITA!

> But let's assume that ReportDesigner and reportWriter are working as
> expected.
> Then all I have to learn is - Hmmm - Nothing!  It uses all the Dabo stuff
> from the start.  The biggest issue is reportWriter does not print - it only
> creates PDF files and of course no spreadsheets.  However, the last
> statement
> turns out not to be exactly correct.
>
> Viewers and therefore printing are ubiquitous for PDF's.  Acroread, kPDF,
> and
> many others are available free and normally installed.  Turns out printing
> PDF from python for Linux, Mac, and Windows is very easy.  Take a look at
> win32print for you windows guys and cups for linux and Mac.  So that just
> leaves spreadsheets.

Yes printing directly to pdf instead of to printers is generally not a
problem in my opinion. In fact in can be seen as a feature!

> Currently we are using xlwt which is about the same amount of work to
> produce
> a spreadsheet as it was with Excel.  And of course it will require
> something
> like openOffice or Excel to print or view.  I haven't found a solution
> around
> this problem - but I hope too.

I also use PyExcelerator (seems that it's the ancestor of xlwt) and it is
quite ok.

In my opinion pdf gives nice, non-changeable output that can be printed, and
OOo or Excel are really good to give data to be massaged latter by some
users.

Miguel

multipart/alternative
  text/html