pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
> Can you share your thoughts on why you chose to base the Dabo report
> writer off of ReportLab vs. the Open Office word processor?

Well it wasn't either/or. There are other options out there too. I simply chose
something easy to use, written in python, that gave the desired output (pdf).

I think there's room to develop different outputs, including open office
writer. The
one I've been thinking about is to output to wx.PostscriptDC and wx.PaintDC, to
print
directly to a printer and to display on a wx.Window, respectively.

> My assumption is that ReportLab removes the dependency of a large
> application like Writer. But Writer might(?) allow you to generate Open
> Office compatible markup that shifts calculations for group height, page
> breaks, headers, footers, etc to the Writer engine vs. your code?

It would be a different style of output, sure.

> I haven't tried to automate Writer so I don't know how big the
> integration gap is or how version dependent Writer files are.

I've never tried automating OpenOffice either, but I know that there's the
pyUno
bridge for the purpose. OpenOffice automation is done in Java (yuck) but I
think
pyUno lets you write python code to do it.

Be my guest! :)

Paul