On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:09:37 am Mark Stanton wrote:
> (I think I've remembered what that other package is, btw, pySQLite3?)
>
> It seems like you're saying that Python has a list of packages it
> knows about, and won't necessarily go out to the operating system to
> look for them?

The packages I am talking about are Python modules(program files) that either
are
found on their own or grouped into packages, see here for better description:
(http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html#packages

The issue is, that they need to be compiled against a particular version of
Python. When you use your distribution(Fedora) package management system it
installs pre compiled versions against the version of Python that the package
is
meant for i.e python2.7-* for Python 2.7.  When you download the source and run
setup.py one of the steps is the source is compiled against the appropriate
Python version. Some of the confusion is that in Linux packages has a more
general meaning of any related group of software files installed via a package
management system, for instance the various LibreOffice packages.  These can be
but are not necessarily Python files.

> Which problem will be compounded in a VirtualEnv setup, because each
> Python will need to be told about the relevant packages?

Well the problem is you are running more than one version of Python and each
version will need the packages installed for its own use if you want to use it
for that version. In your case you used the Fedora package manager to download
Python files, but they where installed for the default installation of 2.7.
Since you want to run programs using 2.6, you will need to install the packages
i.e pySQlite3 ,etc for 2.6 also.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@gmail.com