On 09/13/2013 06:01 AM, Paul McNett wrote:
On 9/13/13 5:02 AM, John Fabiani wrote:
On 09/13/2013 04:37 AM, Ricardo Aráoz wrote:
Thanks John.
In the for loop I'm just doing an addField() for every field included in the
data
structure. Is this not needed?  Is the data structure enough?
If you want to specify the DataStructure, you need to also addField(). I've
written a
addFieldsFromDataStructure() method for this.

Try removing it - if it works then you are OK.  I don't normally take the time
define a 'datastructure' - I just use .addField(). I haven't run into any
problems
that I recall.  My guess is I'm not the right person to discuss this with -
Paul, I
believe uses 'datastructure' in his programming and if memory serves he does so
avoid some sort of issue or maybe it's just something left over from the past???
I use it in my main project but haven't used it in my more recent projects. It
was
definitely needed in the past, not sure now.

IMHO -
The guys that have been using Dabo for a long time are using coding
routines/behaviors that probably aren't required - they just don't hurt and
they work.
For example I started hand coding my forms/windows - mostly because when I
started
the GUI designer wasn't very stable.  A far as I know it is very stable now.
But I
continue to hand code the forms.
I hand-code the UI because I like writing Python, using vim, and not wondering
if
when something isn't it's because of something I'm doing wrong or something in
the
designer.

That said, the designer is awesome. I use it to make quick mock-ups of design
sometimes, especially when playing with sizers.

I see code that others post and I see routines that
I know didn't work and I had to work around long ago.  But I still see those
simple
work arounds in my code even though they are no longer required (or it's just
my lack
of programming skill).
This happens to me all the time. When I'm working on something else and come
across
lines of code I know aren't necessary, I'll quickly make a new git topic branch
and
investigate/test removing those extraneous lines of code, and commit the
changes if
behavior wasn't changed. That's what living, breathing code means!

Paul
Well said.
Thanks
Johnf