Am 28.03.2017 um 08:05 schrieb Ulrich Pegelow:

Sad thing is that I had been warned before. AMD already had a bad
reputation when it comes to Linux drivers. I didn't take this serious
enough. Now I have to dump a 300 bucks GPU after only three years.

I can't say that. All my AMD graphics cards worked out of the box with the free radeon drivers. This was one reason I preferred AMD cards in the first place. I always did some research before I bought a card and read that one could not take for granted that Nvidia worked out of the box with Linux.
Of course, I also checked whether there were fglrx driver for my Linux.

Presently I use an AMD rx460, and yes the nuisance exists with amdgpu-pro on my Suse Tumbleweed. But the open source amdgpu driver works reasonably fast and I hope I will soon be able to use openCL with my graphics card on Suse.

cu
Peter