Dave Rolsky wrote:
It seems rather arbitrary to only include Chicago and New York.  I can
just see all the questions about why the others aren't included!
That's just the TZ's you tested, that's all. Any arbitrary bias lies in the scope of the tests, not in my suggestion! <duck>

It might be best to just skip those tests if the DateTime::TimeZone
package isn't installed, though.
This is a better idea.

Or distribute everything _but_ the generated files and
DateTime::TimeZone::OlsonDB.  That way you could do offset only and
floating time zone stuff, but to do the historical/rules-based stuff you
install a separate package.
This is the best idea of all. How about DateTime::TimeZone contains logic to die with a useful message when a missing TZ is requested, rather than allow Perl's default error to come up and confuse the user.

file (if you want to make the installation dependent on Net::FTP).  For those
that don't have Net::FTP installed, the Makefile.PL could request that they
independently download the Olson files themselves and expand them into a top
level OlsonDB directory and rerun 'perl Makefile.PL' to build the TZ files.

Now that's a PITA!

It depends on Net::FTP _and_ Archive::Zip (the TZ data is in a zip file).
Too much work for now at least.

Granted, but we want people to be able to easily download an updated OlsonDB and regenerate all of the TZ files. I don't suppose you want to keep releasing updates to DT::TZ _every_ time the OlsonDB gets updated. ;~)

The idea is empower the user to update their own d**n data files and keep the CPAN distro as small/simple as possible.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group