On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:39:04PM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Tim Bunce wrote:
>
> > Er, I may well be missing something as I've not paid attention to this thread,
> > but why not ship them both in the same distribution? Then some tests in t/*.t
> > will test DT and some DT::DZ and both DT and DT::TZ being tested will be the
> > ones in the distribution about to be installed.
>
> Assuming that we continue to pre-generate TZ data based on the Olson DB
> (which may or may not happen), it makes sense to separate them because the
> two code bases will change at different speeds.  One DT::TZ has a firm
> API and has been reasonably well debugged, it's likely that we'd only have
> to make a new release when a new Olson DB is released, which happens a few
> times a year.
>
> The DT module, OTOH, may stay in flux longer than DT::TZ, and is likely to
> continue to stay immature for a longer period of time, meaning initially
> it'll have many more releases.  Eventually, it may become fairly stable
> (dead? ;) and only see a release very infrequently.

Sure. Some modules within the DBI distribution change very rarely,
but I still ship them within the DBI distribution as they're closely
related and it's a convienience for the user.

If size is the issue, why not generate the DT::TZ::foo modules
when the user runs "perl Makefile.PL"? That would make the
distribution much smaller.

That's that's not okay then I'd suggest creating distributions for
each of DT::TZ::Africa::*, DT::TZ::Europe::*, DT::TZ::Pacific::* etc.
Add a Bundle::DateTime::TimeZone module to automate the fetch/install
of all of them. Then ship the core DT::TZ modules plus one set of
zones (say DT::TZ::America) in the DT distribution.

Or, then again, given the relative simplicity/portability of the
DT::TZ code you could just keep doing what you're doing... :)

Tim.