On 1/4/03 12:47 pm, Daisuke Maki at [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake thus:
> Fair enough. So would you suggest there be a DateTime::Language::* and
> DateTime::Format::* for each non-latin1 language that DateTime may want
> to handle?

There'd be a ::Language module, but there'd only be a ::Format module if
there was a specific format or non-hindu-arabic set of digits. For example
if you want time in English words then your numberals (1,2,3) become 'One',
'Two', 'Three'.

> Furthermore, what would you suggest for somebody who wants to do a
> strftime-like thing, but say, with Japanese numbers instead of Arabic.
> Is that a Language module or a Format module?

That's format. ::Language just holds month and day names. strf/strp go in
::Format.

> I'm asking this because if I *really* wanted to add Japanese support to
> DateTime::*, there'd be at least 3 diffrent notations for month names,
> and 3 different notations for time. I'm kind of unsure where each of
> these should/would go.

It would be excellent to have these. Should they be named specifically:
   DateTime::Format::JapaneseNotation1
   DateTime::Format::JapaneseNotation2
   DateTime::Format::JapaneseNotation3

or would it be best to just have one module:
   DateTime::Format::Japanese

that included the methods:
   format_notation1_datetime()
   format_notation2_datetime()
   format_notation3_datetime()
   parse_notation1_datetime()
   parse_notation2_datetime()
   parse_notation3_datetime()

and possibly had a default alias:
   format_datetime()
   parse_datetime()
which aliased the most common of the three notations?

Cheers!
Rick

             There are 10 kinds of people:
   those that understand binary, and those that don't.
   The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
     is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners