Michael G Schwern wrote:
>A) Have DT::TZ be a wrapper around DT::TZ::Tzfile
>B) Have DT::TZ ship with (or download) v2 Olson data

I'd do this in a finer-grained way.  One module encapsulating the
Olson tzfiles, with no logic for interpreting them; this can be used
independently of DT:TZ:Tzfile, and is the only module that requires
regular updating.  Another module tying that together with DT:TZ:Tzfile,
to provide full Olson timezone service without any of the DT:TZ-specific
exceptions.  Then DT:TZ wraps that, along with supplying its own special
cases.

>C) Write special case .pm files for the special cases

These already exist, if I understand you correctly.

>How big is the compiled Olson data?

Looking here at a Debian installation, excluding the "posix" and "right"
subdirectories, here are some stats:

* 23 directories
* 581 filenames for regular files
* 823 kB apparent total file size (multi-linked files counting multiply)
* 513 distinct regular files
* 729 kB real total file size (multi-linked files counting once)
* 287 kB compressed tarball of unique files

For kicks, compare against the DateTime/TimeZone directory, excluding
DT:TZ infrastructure:

* 14 directories
* 388 filenames for regular files
* 2127 kB apparent total file size
* 388 distinct regular files
* 2127 kB real total file size
* 315 kB compressed tarball of unique files

-zefram