Kevin Hilman wrote:

Some of the comments about my earlier EDMA patches touched on issues
in that programming interface, like:

- The single call to allocate DMA resources is overly complex.

- Its programming model doesn't match the hardware well:  talking
about master vs. slave, not channels and parameter RAM; confusing
those two resource types (especially when allocating); etc.

- Since the calls used a "davinci_" prefix, they wouldn't be very
appropriate for the DMA in the OMAP-L137 chip.

We were going to move the generic part of
arch/arm/mach-davinci/dma.c (alomg with other common code b/w so
called OMAP-L1x and DaVinci) to arch/arm/plat-davinci/ but the rename
seems reasonable anyway.

I keep hearing things like this, but have not yet seen any patches, or
technical arguments for doing so.

 The technical argument is simple: sharing the code for two similar
platforms, the EDMA code in particular.

The code already is shared.

  How? You're not supposed to looks for the shared code in other
mach-*/ dirs, are you?

I'm talking about DaVinci git tree here, not TI/MV trees.  There is
no plat-davinci, only a mach-davinci.

The current DMA code is shared across the various devices currently
supported in DaVinci git.

The point I'm trying to make is that I still do not agree with the
need to create a plat-davinci for "common" code.  The reasons I've
heard so far have not been convincing.

   So, you want e.g. EDMA code duplicated, right?

Kevin

WBR, Sergei