Sergei Shtylyov <sshtyl...@ru.mvista.com> writes:

[snip]

>>> There is one thing I found difficult to share between OMAP-L1x and
>>> DaVinci variants.  That is the RAM is map to different physical address.
>>>
>>> For DaVinci Makefile.boot we have
>>>    zreladdr-y   := 0x80008000
>>> params_phys-y   := 0x80000100
>>> initrd_phys-y   := 0x80800000
>>>
>>> For OMAP-L1X Makefile.boot we have
>>>    zreladdr-y   := 0xC0008000
>>> params_phys-y   := 0xC0000100
>>> initrd_phys-y   := 0xC0800000
>>>
>>> Is there a clean way to consolidate the two?
>>>

>> These makefile variables only affect the creation of the [zu]Image
>> files, not the kernel image itself, which is linked at its virtual
>> address.  My primary concern is the ability to have a single kernel
>> image, a single [zu]Image is nice but not mandatory.
>>

>   If you want to have MUSB support in kernel you can forget your dream
> of "single kernel image". :-)

That's quite a pursuasive argument.

My primary concern with a single kernel image is for the DaVinci core
code.  Drivers can be handled easily with platform_data + kernel
modules, and if they are needed early in boot, with initramfs.

In the case of MUSB, the driver already has a way to use different DMA
engines.  From there, it's not too difficult to teach have it select
the DMA engine at runtime instead of compile time (maybe it already
does this.)

Kevin