Sergei Shtylyov <sshtyl...@ru.mvista.com> writes:

>>>I think I've expressed it clear enough: common shared code is
>>>to be moved to plat-davinci/ and OMAP-L1x support is to be
>>> added into new mach- directory.
>
>> And yet Kevin felt that was missing details (not complete)...
>
>> While that sounds plausible to me at this point, it's also
>> clear that the missing details could make a big difference.
>
>    Let us be more clear. What exactly details are needed?

The technical justification for a new mach- + plat- directory.  In
particular, justification for why extending current code in existing
mach-davinci cannot work.

So far, in terms of core code (stuff that lives under arch/*) I've
heard that the primary differences are

- new INTC
- additional PSC (but same programming model)
- new pinmux layout

To me these are hardly justification for a new mach directory.  I see
relatively simple solutions for these in the current framework.

The driver differences can be handled in the board code (platform_*)
or in the driver code itself, or by new drivers.  It matters less to
me how drivers hard done.

>> I suspect that until patches appear, discussion can get no
>> further.  Plus, if it's going to be "mach-omap-L1" it'd
>> be good to have enough detail that the OMAP team (and RMK)
>> can see why it should pair with "plat-davinci" instead of
>> the more obvious "plat-omap".
>
> Damn that rename again...

Exact marketing names aside... The fact remains that the omap name is
a marketing name.  The vast majority of the HW IP is shared with the
rest of the DaVinci family.  I'm not aware of any HW IP shared with
OMAP (other than MUSB.)

Kevin