Hans Kristian Rosbach wrote:

I too like the even number=stable, odd number=development arrangement.
It is also easy for end users to see what version to use, most linux
users should know that system.

Absolutely. The Linux version numbering scheme is excellent from a deployment point of view. For production systems which need absolute stability without all the new features, stick to the even numbers. If you're adventurous or need the very latest, go with the odd numbers and be prepared to deal with bugs.

MySQL for example have an awful version scheme if you ask me. For a long time during the 4.x development cycle it was impossible to know which versions were stable and suitable for a production system. They append -beta, -alpha to their numbers, which to me at least creates confusion. Hypothetically: Is 4.0.3-beta a pre-release of a stable 4.0.3 version, or is the 4.x branch still beta quality? There's no obvious way to know if 4.0.10 is production quality when 4.0.1 wasn't...

I would _definately_ like to see Linux-style versioning adopted for dbmail.

Simon.
--
Simon Cocking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Network Operations

Melbourne 68-72  York St South Melbourne VIC 3205  P +61 3 9694 4444
Sydney    Level 39, 2 Park Street Sydney NSW 2000  P +61 2 9004 7889

Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg