Hi all,

I am having an extremely similar problem with dbmail-imapd (running dbmail 1.1). And, to simplify things somewhat, I can tell you a bit about the problem.

1. MySQL is *not* the cause of this problem. I am using MySQL 4.0.12 and killing dbmail-imapd very quickly brings the load average down. 2. The load average grows linearly, so one day after having dbmail-imapd running, the load average will read "1.00 1.00 1.00", the second day "2.00 2.00 2.00" the third day "3.00 3.00 3.00" etc.
3. I am running Mandrake 9.0 (one of the last glibc 2.2-based distros).
4. DBMail very happily maxes out MySQL's connection pool. I'm betting this has something to do with it (trying to connect from any other machine with any MySQL client or another DBMail instance will always fail after dbmail-imapd has been running for a few days). 5. I have many indexes and foreign key constraints in place as have been suggested on this list. 6. I only have 8 people using this server - 6 with IMAP clients and 2 with POP3 clients. 7. SquirrelMail's performance degrades as the load average goes up, and massively. It takes 10 seconds to render each frame due to the IMAP side of things being so heavily choked.

If anyone has any other questions or any suggestion as to where the problem is in the source (I'm a 4th year Software Engineering student at a uni where C is the primary language and Unix is the primary platform) I'll have a go at fixing it.

Interestingly, Roel said that they only get this problem every few months with some of their customer sites....

Chris

lou wrote:

In some email I received from Jason Burfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 16 May 2003
14:54:16