Jesse...

Some are using APOP, some are not.

And, it finally crapped out with a trace_level of 5 as well...here is
the relevant log info from that session:

---
May 19 18:47:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: PerformChildTask(): waiting
for connection
May 19 18:57:25 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: PerformChildTask(): incoming
connection from [141.155.157.55]
May 19 18:57:25 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: PerformChildTask(): client
info init complete, calling client handler
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: pop3(): incoming buffer:
[APOP [EMAIL PROTECTED] e9624c82649cacdf5b9905391b07d4d3]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: pop3(): command issued :cmd
[APOP], value [EMAIL PROTECTED] e9624c82649cacdf5b9905391b07d4d3]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: pop3(): command looked up as
commandtype 11
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: __auth_query(): executing
query [SELECT user_idnr FROM users WHERE userid='[EMAIL PROTECTED]']
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: __auth_query(): executing
query [SELECT encryption_type FROM users WHERE user_idnr = 78]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: pop3(): APOP auth, username
[EMAIL PROTECTED], md5_hash [EMAIL PROTECTED]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: __auth_query(): executing
query [SELECT passwd,user_idnr FROM users WHERE
userid="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: auth_md5_validate():
apop_stamp=[<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>], userpw=[pass]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: auth_md5_validate():
checkstring for md5 [<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>pass] -> result
[e9624c82649cacdf5b9905391b07d4d3]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: auth_md5_validate():
validating md5_apop_we=[e9624c82649cacdf5b9905391b07d4d3]
md5_apop_he=[<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>pass]
May 19 18:57:27 vault dbmail/pop3d[25871]: auth_md5_validate(): user
[EMAIL PROTECTED] could not be validated
---

That is everything for that PID for that specific user, which is what
caused it to take off again.

Up to that point that same PID was handling connections with no
problems.

That same process actually handled this same user logging in several
times before, with no problems.

I have had it happen with a few different users, but this specific user
seems to have it happen a lot. He has his password set correctly and all
other info is set correctly as well. He can log in and get mail several
times, then all of a sudden this happens.

We are using usernames in the form of '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' but I wouldn't
think this would make a difference to dbmail would it?

Is this helping at all? Any additional info that would help I can get...

Again, many thanks!

  --  Jason