Yeah, I am using that patch that Ryan supplied. Without it all my
clients were getting multiple copies of each email.

The server really is not that busy. There are about 300 total email
addresses handled by the machine with only about 75 or so using POP to
actually check for mail. The rest forward off to different places.

During the last few times that it took off, there was only one
connection to the server. The one before it was 10 seconds before.

I set the MAXCONNECTS to 1 and still have the problem. Unfortunately.

Also, I know this is strange, but it's true...I have a client that can
cause this situation to happen on demand by supplying an incorrect
password for his account. HOWEVER, at trace_level 5 it does not happen
frequently at all.

I just set the trace_level to 1 and had him send an incorrect password,
dbmail-pop3d immediately took off on the machine. I then changed the
trace_level to 5 and had him try it again, this time it did not run away
like it did before.

I'm running glibc-2.3.2-4.80 which I believe is standard RedHat 8.

I saw the wrong hash being passed in and tried to figure out where it
was coming from, but I'm by no means a C programmer so I wasn't having
much luck. :o

Is there any additional info I should pass along?

I was going to try the latest daily snapshot, would that be worth a try
you think? However, I would still need Ryan's patch to keep clients from
freaking out on me about the multiple copies of each email...

Again..thanks for all the help!

  --  Jason