On 12/31/2011 5:21 AM, Gerard de Melo wrote:

DBpedia's ontology is extremely shallow with just 320 classes based on infobox types. Many Wikipedia pages do not have infoboxes and hence the corresponding instances lack any genuine class. The advantage of this approach is that it is fairly accurate.

    Recall is poor but precision is excellent.

I went looking in DBpedia 3.5 for topics that were mistyped as :Person and only found four. I can't say there aren't any others, but usually I find a lot more trouble when I go looking for it.

Freebase used machine learning methods to find :Person(s) in their database and got about 2x better recall against people documented in Wikipedia than DBpedia does. I haven't tried quality checking against it, however.