Kingsley,

Thanks for pointing out that example of use of the ontology.

 This may be a good example to discuss the effects of changing to "type"
relation to "subclass" as it is used for the biological taxonomy.  The type
relation appears to be used in the same sense that the rdf:subclasOf is used
in other OWL ontologies.  In the usual usage, if X has type Y, then X is an
individual in the class Y, not a subclass.  But in the ontology and its
associated applications, to determine the parent classes (at some levels)
one apparently needs to use the "type" rather than subclass relation (i.e.
"Albatross" is usually a subclass, not an instance of "Bird").  It also
appears that the subclass relation is not propagated up the hierarchy, as it
should be for a transitive relation.   It is not clear whether these usages
were simply a mistake that has propagated, or a variant definition of these
relations that was intentionally adopted for some reason.

   Whatever the reason, I am thinking of the following experiment:

   Replace the "type" relation with "subclassOf" in the  DBpedia mappings
and ontology where it is appropriate, and add in triples that propagatge the
"subclassOf" up the hierarchy.  Then what would happen to the faceted
browsing application?   I am guessing that the application assumes that the
"type" relation will be used in the sense of "subclassOf" in the ontology
mappings, and the results would be quite different from what happens now -
and I presume, not what is expected or intended.

If this is the case, then the application would have to be modified to use
"subclassOf" instead of "type", to get the intended results.  Would this be
a major effort to make this change?

I start with this suggestion because the unexpected usage of "type" and
"subclassOf" is one of the more striking (to me) examples of how the
ontology appears to be in error.   Since the hierarchical "subclassOf"
relation is one of the most important relations in an ontology, I would hope
that that relation be used accurately, before other aspects of the ontology
are modified.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA Inc.