There is no question that this venue has been known as the Meadowlands Arena, and that there were tickets to Grateful Dead concerts printed as such. The only point that I make is that I could not find any evidence to support this as an official designation using google as a search tool.

As I have done in the past, I will try and contact someone on staff at the venue or at the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority for a definitive answer.

My personal opinion is that even if it turns out that this venue was never "officially" designated Meadowlands Arena, the fact that the tickets are printed as such, and that the venue, to the best of my recollection, was always commonly referred to as "Meadowlands" by the Grateful Dead community, that we leave it as such for purposes of the Deadlists project.

 -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of kevin
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 10:09 AM
To: 'Marc Evans'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Re: 4/6/87

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marc Evans
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 9:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From what I can gather from various web sites, "The Meadowlands Sports Complex" opened in 1976 consisting of Giants Stadium and The Meadowlands Racetrack. In 1977 construction began on the "Brendan Byrne Arena"  which opened July 2nd, 1981. On January 4, 1996 the naming rights were sold to Continental Airlines

Although there are numerous mentions of "Meadowlands Arena" or "Meadowlands Sports Arena" - as the venue was credited on "Nightfall Of Diamonds" (10/16/89) - I found no evidence to support that either one of these names was ever an "official" venue designation, as approved by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

Marc Evans
Venue Caretaker