On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > In your email to me, [EMAIL PROTECTED], you wrote:
> > >
> > >   It's down to 3.3...  Any other settings to jack with??
> >
> > Make sure you have the shortest cable possible, and good termination.
> > Other than that, try another scsi cable.
> >
> > Tim
> >
>       Thanks to all who have replied, but nothing has helped.  I've got
> a 4 inch cable hooked up between the drive and the card now, but that
> didn't do it.  The drive is a SCSI-III so I believe its a self-terminating
> device, but I don't know...  Are there any terminators that would go on
> the end of a 50 pin ribbon?
>       Anyway, I don't think the cabling is a problem.  I ran a media
> verify from the onboard bios and it went through the whole drive with
> no problems, except for the usual media defects.  I also did a dma transfer
> test from the bios and it came up clean.
>       Are there any kernels that are known to work _for_sure_ with an
> AHA-1542CF??  Maybe that's my problem...

I've been using the standard aha1542 driver as a module with
2.0.14 with no problems, but I had a lot of problems
initially.  My problem was termination and the symptoms
sound similar to yours.  My one external device is a ZIP
drive.  If your hard drive has resisters installed (usually
near the ribbon connector area on the component side of a
SCSI drive, then its got internal terminators, but they may
not be enabled, or termination power to the BUS may not be
set properly.  You really need to get some decent
documentation for the drive.

I hope the SCSI driver developers or kernel developers can
implement a way for things like this to have less of an
impact, 1.2 never complained (neither did DOS, etc.).
Apparently the driver is only able to sense what's going on
on the bus when its loaded, so it can't gracefully fail to
load when such a problem occurs.  I'd rather see it able to
run despite such a problem :-)

Anyway, good luck.

Richard G. Roberto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.