> > Make sure you have the shortest cable possible, and good termination.
> > Other than that, try another scsi cable.
> >  Tim

The SCSI spec for SCSI-III (Specifically, bus rates up to 20 Mhz) state
that the total length of the SCSI bus should not exceed 3 metres when
using four or less devices, and not exceed 1.5 metres with five to eight
devices.  (More devices, less distance on the cable to the farthest
device) In all cases, no devices should be closer than .3 metres apart.

>       Thanks to all who have replied, but nothing has helped.
> a 4 inch cable hooked up between the drive and the card now, but that
> didn't do it.  The drive is a SCSI-III so I believe its a self-terminating
> device, but I don't know...  Are there any terminators that would go on
> the end of a 50 pin ribbon?

.3 metres is over 8 inches.  It never hurts to plug in a terminator on the
end of a 50 pin ribbon connector to make sure the bus is terminated, but
the self-terminating drives make life much easier.

>       Anyway, I don't think the cabling is a problem.  I ran a media
> verify from the onboard bios and it went through the whole drive with
> no problems, except for the usual media defects.  I also did a dma
> transfer test from the bios and it came up clean.

Does it work under a different OS or on a different controller card?
It seems that the drive is seeing the commands if you're able to send down
commands to the drive in your media test.  Hopefully you can get it
working under one case to eliminate termination and cable problems.
Usually it's the software drivers, because most people set up the SCSI
bus correctly and it is forgiving in many instances.

>       Are there any kernels that are known to work _for_sure_ with an
> AHA-1542CF??  Maybe that's my problem...

This, I do not know.   Good luck in finding someone with specific
experience, perhaps there is someone at the company who makes the card
using Linux.

Charles