On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 12:59:04 -0700
Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> wrote:

> You said LXDE.  I don't know and was hoping someone else who knew
> better about LXDE would say if gnome-volume-manager was being used
> there or not.  Often XFCE and LXDE use some components from GNOME and
> this seems likely to be one of those components.

Not in general, I think. I don't believe LXDE automounts natively, but
it might. I came to LXDE from Gnome and have much of Xfce and some of
KDE installed, so I'm not sure what LXDE brings in.

Debian doesn't seem to be keen on gnome-volume-manager:

Package gnome-volume-manager

    squeeze (oldstable) (gnome): GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage
    media devices 2.24.1-4: kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386

    sid (unstable) (gnome): GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage media
    devices 2.24.1-3 [debports]: m68k

I've settled on usbmount, but it does have issues. I haven't found any
way of mounting with user write privileges or on a particular mount
point other than by using fstab entries. I have one particular stick
which usbmount, for no reason I can see, wants to mount as the entire
drive, so again fstab seems to be the only way to get round that. It is
still necessary to have root privileges to umount them.

I don't particularly want a large-scale disc manager, and usbmount is
old and not under development, so it isn't very satisfactory. I did
look at pmount, but there was some issue there and it was long enough
ago that I can't remember what it was, but I couldn't use it. No doubt
I'll have another look around when I get irritated enough...

--
Joe