> I don't know about GNOME. But you 'might' get some information with:-
> # grep mmc /var/log/messages
>
> Also try the following for clues *after* device is plugged in:-
> $ mount | grep mmc
>
> e.g. to find what mounted a removable USB flash device labelled
> 5CB5-7511 $ mount | grep -i 5cb5
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/5CB5-7511 type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks
>
> So "daemon" in this example is udisks
>
> Also try running the following *before* plugging in:-
> # udisks --monitor
>
> e.g. (using removable USB flash device on *non*-GNOME DE)
> $ udisks --monitor
> Monitoring activity from the disks daemon. Press Ctrl+C to cancel.
> added:     /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdc

I tried these things and it looks like udisks is indeed the demon that is
mounting the mmc card.  Trying some searches on the net I found a site,
http://www.ab9il.net/linux/pcmanfm-usb-mount.html , that indicates that policy
kit is responsible for configuring this demon.  However, the instructions on
the page appeared to be out of date as the directory referenced,
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d, does not exist in my install of debian
(wheezy) and I found a file at
usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy that is in a different
format (XML) and that seems to do something but I have not been able to find
documentation on exactly what to modify. Can anyone point me in the direction
of documentation of what this policy kit is and how it is configured in debian
wheezy?

Thanks