On Friday 31 July 2015 18:15:14 The Wanderer wrote:
> I usually interpret "parse" in this sort of context to refer to machine
> parsing, not reading by humans

Ah!  I'll certainly accept that.  I took it to mean:
1. (linguistics) To resolve into its elements, as a sentence, pointing out the
several parts of speech, and their relation to each other by government or
agreement; to analyze and describe grammatically.

I.e. to deconstruct and understand.

I didn't know the meaning:
2.(computing) To split a file or other input into pieces of data that can be
easily stored or manipulated.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/parse

So you have taught me something, and I wouldn't argue about that!

Lisi