On Friday 31 July 2015 05:58:28 Diogene Laerce wrote:

> Le 30/07/2015 18:35, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 29 July 2015 18:09:36 Diogene Laerce wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have big issues recently with debian that I don't understand,
> >> maybe someone could help on the matter ?
> >>
> >> First, debian does not want to give me any network. I really say
> >> debian because I have 3 possibilities to run the OS : 2 USB sticks
> >> and a PC tower, all
> >> on wheezy, which worked fine til they do not for no reason.
> >>
> >> The one USB stick which does boot and run says, when /ifconfig eth0
> >> up/ :
> >>
> >>     eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device
> >>
> >> The other stick now even doesn't want to start X (but that I guess
> >> is not related, surely USB stick issue).
> >>
> >> And the tower.. I had to install fedora because it didn't want to
> >> mount my home during installation - which was a new 1To disk to
> >> format, even after formatted it which gparted. Plus the unavailable
> >> network issue of course, also during installation.
> >>
> >> These network issues only happen with debian as I could install
> >> fedora with no issue at all : it took care of my home and found the
> >> network without raising
> >> any flag.
> >>
> >> Any idea ?
> >
> > Did you do anything to your network device(s)?  New anything?  New
> > card?  What happens with a new Debian installation?
>
> Well no, I didn't. Everything was fine and the same until it didn't.
>
> Actually it started with repetitive attempt to connect from a live
> cd 7.8 version which froze my internet box (router + TV). But the
> repetitive attempt seems to underline the existence of a pre-existing
> issue.. I guess.
>
> After that, I was unable to connect from any debian device. Even a
> mint live cd couldn't. But parted magic live cd could, fedora could.
>
> I then tried to install 8.1 but it wouldn't either and raise the home
> issue with it.
>
> All those happen on the workstation/tower.
>
> >   Did
> > you move anyhting?
>
> Yes I actually change my home disk to another one, new, 1To Seagate.
>
> >  What is the physical relationship, if any, between the
> > USB sticks and the tower?
>
> I installed all stick OSes with the station which failed first.
>
> I now have access only to one USB stick : 1 does not load X as said
> before and I have fedora now on the workstation (tower).
>
> A mysterious comrade who wants to remain anonymous it seems, I will
> call him Mr T. :), advised me to look into /etc/udev/rules : eth0 had
> been renamed
> to eth2 with eth0 bound to the tower MAC address (fedora today) and
> eth2 bound to another tower MAC address I tried the USB stick on
> after.
>
> I deleted the first tower line and updated the eth2 definition ->
> changing it
> to eth0 and now it works.
>
> But it still does not explain why the 7.8 and 8.1 did not, on the
> [...]

If you search your dmesg, you wil probably find that udev, after
discovering eth0, then quite a bit later, renames it according to the
connection attempts made during THIS install.

That bit me when I was moving the drive with a linuxcnc install on it
from machine to machine while looking for a machine capable of doing the
realtime correctly.  So now, and the ethernet works fine once I had
excised network-mangler and edited /etc/network/interfaces to tell it to
use eth5.  Obviously my local network is /etc/host file based, fixed
addresses for all my machines.

To use my fixed address methods, which are officialy discouraged by the
list police you will need to edit /etc/resolv.conf after nuking the
softlink that it is and creating a real file, saying "order hosts,dns"
on the first line, and the address of the local dns resolver
as "nameserver" on the next line.  My router runs dd-wrt, so its address
is used as the nameserver and it then forwards a dns query it doesn't
know about to the dns servers it gets from my cable modem.  And it all
Just Works(TM).

I have no clue what genius thought that renameing eth0 was the right
thing to do, but its damned sure biteing a lot of folks that do not need
to be so bitten.  This list is not the only one being littered
with "where's my network" questions.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)