On Friday 31 July 2015 16:55:45 David Wright wrote:
> Yes, ifconfig's indentation
> is prettier when you just want a quick summary, but ip is more
> flexible and the output is much easier /to parse/. Emphasis directed
> at Lisi :)

:-)  I wanted to be able to read it - and the OP had said that he had Wheezy,
so I knew that he had ifconfig.  If you remember, I got in trouble the other
day for saying that the command is "ip". ;-)

I just wanted to be able compare what he had as ip in /e/n/i and what ifconfig
said, to see if they tallied.  Or to suggest it to the OP. ;-)  So a "pretty"
quick summary was ideal.

And no, ip is not easier to parse.  It may be for you, and even for most
people - but I find it so difficult to read that it is hard to get anything
out of it.  (And I do mean read - physically read).  But ip clearly gives
more information - _if_ you can read it. ;-)

Lisi