Steve Sobol wrote:

>>> Seconded.
>>
>> I'm not following, when these functions are invoked, be it
>> scheduled by some other software or by the user from the
>> shell, they are intended to do their work automatically
>> (non-interactively) if that is what you mean?
>
> Dist-upgrade makes major changes to your system, updating
> dozens of packages, and pointing the OS at different
> APT repos.

Well, not always, right? But yes, that's the intension.

> Automating such changes would be a very bad idea. [...] But
> if I have to do an in-place upgrade, I'm going to sit and
> watch it happen... just in case something goes wrong.

Ah, don't worry, it is safe, I've done it a lot.

But actually even if something goes wrong, it is still a good
idea since then it is the upgrade process that must be
debugged at the other end, the command is fine.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal