On 24/06/2023 23:42, gene heskett wrote:
sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Almost from the start of this thread I am curious if there is a reason to not run autoremove immediately after upgrade. What is the purpose of retaining unnecessary packages till next upgrade?

I usually add --purge to apt autoremove to avoid remnants of deleted kernel packages. On the other hand I am not brave enough to use -y.

This thread started from a question concerning /var/cache/apt/archives. I do not remember if somebody already mentioned that "apt upgrade" by default removes downloaded .deb files in the case of success, however "apt-get upgrade" does no do it.