On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 7:08 PM Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > I'd like to shop for such a device, but I don't know what it's called.
>
> I think it's called a "wireless bridge".
>
> Any device with a wifi card and (at least) an ethernet port can do that.
> So "any" wifi router will do the trick, as long as you can get it to run
> a firmware that's not hopelessly restricted.
>
> I'd recommend you look at the routers supported by OpenWRT.

+1 for OpenWRT supported routers
supported devices are listed here
  https://openwrt.org/toh/start

If all you want is a wireless bridge you can probably get by with a
woefully underpowered router.  Put the wan and lan ports on vlan 1 so
there's no router or firewall involved and disable dns, dhcp, etc. so
it's just ethernet <=> wifi

I've got a pair of TP-Link Archer C7s that are now out of production
but cost about $55 when new that do a great job with everything on
vlan 1.

> Of course, if you can do it with cables (ethernet/powerline/younameit)
> it's probably going to work better, but I guess you know that already.

+1 again - cables are better.  Even with a house you're most probably
going to get some interference from the houses around you :(

Regards,
Lee