On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 01:20:19PM -0400, Michael Grant wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 06:11:48PM +0100, debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> > Most houses in the UK are wired to a single phase, so everything is
> > connected together at the consumer unit and powerline works just fine.
> > If you have a specific problem, then there are DIN rail powerline units
> > designed specifically to be mounted in the CU to spread the signal
> > better over ALL the circuits.
> >
> > If your house has 3-phase wiring, which is unusual in the UK, then you
> > may have a problem because powerline signals do need to be on the same
> > phase.
>
> In the US, most houses are wired with 240V split-phase giving 120V to
> a mains outlet.  It's a 50/50 crapshot if you are on the same leg in a
> different part of the house.  I don't know if some electricians like
> to put all the mains outlets on the same leg or not.  I don't know if
> these ethernet over power things will work over different legs.  The
> legs share a neutral and ground, so maybe!  I'd be interested to know!

Typically on an electrical install, how many and which circuits go to where
is determined by the lead electrician at install time. This means there's
no telling which "phase" of a 240V system any given room or outlet will be
on.

> Similarrly, over 3-phase, I would suspect the same is true, 3
> different legs around the property with a common neutral and common
> ground.

I've never see a 3 phase in a house. Common in commercial/industrial,
though.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster