On 04/06/2024 02:08, Chris M wrote:
I am needing a "refresher course" on mail clients that use the .mbox format to store emails.
It's been years since I've used this kind of mail client.

You may configure local IMAP server (e.g. dovecot) to store your archive. It allows to avoid issues with variations of mbox formats across mail user agents. Perhaps it is reasonable to disable message caching in mail client for the local IMAP server to avoid another copies of messages on disk.

On the other hand IMAP offline cache for remote servers allows to work with messages when network is unavailable.