On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 13:22:15 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 29 Jun 2024 at 22:46:00 (-0700), B wrote:
> > It seems crazy that in all the history of Debian, nobody said "There's
> > a package I care about and I want to get immediately when a new
> > version is released."

No, the crazy part is when you add "... on my airgapped Debian system"
to the requirements.

Most people who care about getting upgrades immediately are concerned
because these are *security* updates, and their Debian systems are
accessible over a network (perhaps the Internet); thus, keeping up to
date on security patches is a high priority.

On such systems, one may use unattended-upgrades to download the
packages automatically, and possibly even install them automatically,
depending on one's configuration choices.

If your Debian system is airgapped, the security concerns are greatly
reduced.  Getting patches onto it becomes far less of a race against
time.

If you also want an email when security patches are released,
there is already a solution to that as well: subscribe to the
debian-security-announce mailing list.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

> On Sat 29 Jun 2024 at 19:15:55 (-0700), B wrote:
> > The packages I want to monitor are arbitrary and specific. The
> > distribution and architecture must also be taken into account. For a
> > given package, if I want to know about changes in unstable, then it
> > must not generate notifications against stable, experimental, source,
> > or some other architecture.
>
> Can I ask why?

You can.  I have a funny feeling we won't get an answer.

The fact that B is interested in unstable *primarily* (it's the first
thing mentioned) tells us an enormous amount.